- BASIC BLACK -- and like the little black dress, goes with everything. A dark, rich hue of golden brown liquid, chilled with plenty of ice and sweetened to your liking.
- GREEN TEA -- its bright and grassy flavor blends well with fruit flavors. My personal favorite is green tea and blueberry served at Maria's Italian Kitchen or the Japanese Cherry Green Tea available at the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf.
- WHITE TEA -- has come into vogue with its health attributes being touted as "THE best." Its light, subtle flavor makes it so easy to add a blending of flavors. Peach and pear work well.
- Then there black teas like Oolong, Darjeeling, Earl Grey served straight up or custom blended.
- ICE PICK -- speaking of cocktail speak, years ago, my sister and I came up with a drink we call Ice Pick. A mix of sweetened iced black tea with vodka. It was a smash at our company's softball games. Now vodkas come in flavors to mix and match with tea ... black, green, or white, gives you more serving options.
- HERBAL TEAS -- although not considered a true tea as they are not from the tea plant Camellia Sinesis but made up of herbs. Flavors like mint, lemon, chamomile and ginger are refreshing. And red tea -- roobus, a South African herbal tea has a sweet, slightly nutty taste. Any of these herbal teas blend well with real tea.
~~ SWEETENERS -- real sugar, organic sugar cane, agave sweetener, simple syrup, honey - plain or flavored and the imitation sweeteners.
~~ ICE -- essential component to keep it icy cold; large or small cubes, cubes made from tea or juice, cubes with fruit or mint leaf frozen inside, tubular shaped, crushed, or flavored ice.
There are so many choices, and just a few have been named here. Experiment and see how your favorite flavors can inspire your own signature iced tea.
Enjoy your summer with lots of refreshingly yummy iced tea and share it with someone you love!